Lawyer Cliff Ombeta for former Cooper Motor Corporation Group (CMC) Director Joel Kamau Kibe speaking to journalists outside Milimani law courts on Wednesday February 3, 2016.
The former Cooper Motor Corporation Group (CMC) Director involved in an accident that resulted in death of a guard in Runda Estate, in Nairobi cannot appear in court as required.

Lawyer Cliff Ombeta said that his client, Cooper Motor Corporation Group Director Joel Kamau Kibe, was asked to take a bed rest.

The lawyer said he was nursing injuries following the accident that’s occurred Sunday night through dangerous driving.
Kibe fractured two ribs and suffered some minor injuries. Doctors at Nairobi Hospital have asked him to take two to three days of bed rest,” he said.

According to the charge sheet, Kibe is accused on 2 day of February at about 0300HRS along UN AVENUE NEAR WHISPERS in Nairobi being the driver of motor vehicle number KBQ 951 make of RANGE ROVER drove the said vehicle on the said road in a manner which was dangerous to other road users which he knocked sentry box where security guard by the name Charles Wachira was injured and later succumbed to the injuries.

Police have filed charges two counts against businessman Kibe for allegedly causing the death of a night guard through dangerous driving.

Joel Kibe is further accused that on the 2 of February 2016 at about 0300HRS along UN AVENUE NEAR WHISPERS in Nairobi being the driver of a motor vehicle registration number KBQ 951 make of RANGE ROVER drove the said vehicle under influence of alcohol beyond required limit of 0.35mg/l exceeding the limit of the breath.

Kibe was however not in court to answer to the charges since he was not arraigned in court.
Kibe has been directed to appear in court on February 9 to answer to the charges.
According to the lawyer, Kibe is to be charged with driving carelessly causing injuries, causing death by dangerous driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.
CMC Motors Group Ltd director Joel Kibe rammed into a security barrier in Runda on Monday night, killing a guard and injuring another.

Kibe lost control of his Range Rover and swept away a one-foot radius bollard, brought down three smaller others, knocking down a sentry box where he severely injured two guards.

The thick bollard was pushed 10 metres from its point and rolled over the dead guard before the car ran over him, according to an eyewitness.

A Chancery Security Company officer sustained serious injuries and died on arrival at hospital, while the other is on treatment for minor injuries.

An eyewitness who was in a security cubicle seven metres away told the Star at the scene that Kibe was driving himself and appeared to be inebriated.

“I heard a loud bang and switched my torch on as I approached the barrier. One of the guards was lying down with multiple fractures on both legs and injuries in the abdomen,” said a guard who did not wish to be named.

“The driver, who was drunk, was ranting at the injured guards while their colleague who [was uninjured] tried to pull them to safety”.

Chancery Security manager John Karanja said the car ran over the guardhouse, crushing the guard who died.

“One of them had both legs shattered up to the waist. They were rushed to Kiambu Sub-county Hospital by their supervisors, where one of them was pronounced dead while the other was treated for soft tissue injuries and discharged,” said Karanja.

There are CCTV cameras at the scene but no one retrieved the footage.