HURUMA BUILDING OWNERS CHARGED ALONGSIDE THREE STATE OFFICIALS.

0
1186

gh
Suspects (from left-right) Seline Anyango Ogallo,Chrispas Sifuna Wafula Ndinyo,Justus Mwendwa Kathenge, Henry muiruri Karanja and Samwel  Kamau Karanja when they appeared before Nairobi Principal Magistrate court at Milimani on Wednesday May 4,2016.
BY SAM ALFAN.

Three government officials and the owners of a six-storey building that collapsed in Huruma have been released on Sh1 million bond each.

The suspects include brothers Samuel Kamau and Henry Muiruri, Crispus Ndinyo, Justus Kathenge and Seline Ogallo.

They were not charged when they appeared before principal magistrate Beatrice Mosiria on Wednesday.

The suspects appeared in court on Tuesday but were remanded to Pangani police station.

Ms Mosiria asked them to surrender their passports and report to the CID headquarters once a week as investigations are conducted.

She also said they will be charged once the investigations are completed.

State counsel Duncan Ondimu had opposed their release on bail saying the suspects would likely interfere with investigations as rescue and recovery efforts were still ongoing.

But Ms Mosira said the DPP did not have sufficient evidence to compel the court to deny the suspects bail. She added that they had a right to be released as stated in the constitution.

Kamau and Muiruri are the suspected owners of the building that collapsed on Friday night trapping dozens of people.

Suspects in the case include officials from the National Construction Authority, City Hall’s inspectorate department and an engineer in charge of the site.

Reports indicated that there was no construction plan and that the building had not been approved.

Twenty three people have been reported dead and at least 136 people rescued from the rubble so far.

LEAVE A REPLY