SACKING COUNTY OFFICIALS WAS THE RIGHT ACTION TO TAKE, COURT UPHOLDS GOVERNOR SONKO DECISION.

0
2070
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
BY SAM ALFAN.

The High Court has upheld a decision by Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko sacking officials.

Formerly senior county staff lost a bid seeking to block Governor Sonko from sacking them.
The court held that the governor has a right to sack and hire staff.

“In court view, the employer or respondent acted within its mandate after suspecting some wrong doing on the part of applicants. I do not find the petitioners orders tenable. I will not allow the prayers sought” Judge Hellen Wasilwa ruled.

Justice Wasilwa said that the petitioners are free to respond to the show cause letters issued against them within 14 days from the date of Judgment.

Luke Mugo Gatimu, Maurice Ochieng Okere, Nixon Otieno Awuor, Shaban Asman and Bedan Ndegwa Wambui were charged before a Nairobi Court last year.

According to the court, the five failed to demonstrate how their rights and freedoms were violated by the sacking.

They wanted the decision overturned requesting that the police and DPP be restrained from investigating and prosecution them.

The widespread publicity of the events, they said caused them suffering, untold grief and mental anxiety as they are now perceived by the general public to be corrupt individuals stealing money that belongs to the county.

They further argued that the news report gave the impression that the employees of County’s Finance Department were attempting to steal Sh7,803,876 in cash.

The seven officials were charged in court after they were found in possession of the said money in their offices, which ought to have been deposited by close of business on August 22 2017.

They are accused of abuse of office being chief cashier, finance officer, head of treasury head of revenue, in-charge of bank reconciliations and assistant cashier respectively.

LEAVE A REPLY